WE ARE HIRING!!!!
Position Title: Programs Coordinator (Full time)
Reports to: Artistic Director, Finance Officer
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Batalo East is a not-for‐profit company limited by guarantee and registered in Uganda in 2013. It is composed of different artist and arts managers who are committed to the idea of bringing traditional and urban dances together in order to preserve and develop African cultural heritage.
Batalo East was formed on the basis of building a bridge between traditional and urban dance, encouraging young people and dancers to value and incorporate traditional African art forms into their lives and artistry, alongside their development as global citizens and artists on the international stage.
Learning: Develop world-class urban and traditional dancers through the provision of quality traditional dance education to urban dancers and young people in Uganda and the region.
Creating Space: Form a conducive and open space for dancers and young people to practice and experiment with urban and traditional dance styles in a safe and constructive environment.
Networking: Establish a professional network linking Ugandan dancers and interested young people with regional and international expertise, collaboration and performance possibilities, promoting excellence and innovation in traditional and urban fusion dance.
The Programs Coordinator will manage and coordinate all the Batalo East programs. Working closely with the Management Team, the Programs Coordinator will undertake administrative and project management and will support the development, execution, monitoring, and reporting of Batalo East programs.
The ideal candidate for this position is highly self-motivated and passionate about arts education and professional arts development with attention to detail, possesses organizational skills and has the ability to work independently as well as part of a team with efficient and effective communication skills.
The Programs Coordinator will interact with team members at all levels and work with different artists and partners involved in Batalo East’s work in Uganda and abroad. S/he must be exceedingly well organized, diplomatic, flexible, resourceful, and proactive. The Programs Coordinator must exhibit great discretion, handle confidential matters with the utmost care, diplomacy and maturity in prioritizing and managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Batalo East office.
• Provide support and guidance to the Media and Outreach Officer as a line manager.
• Act as primary liaison between Batalo East and other stakeholders.
• Coordinate and follow up on Batalo East team meeting action points.
• Provide weekly activity updates to Batalo East Management Team, and develop weekly work plans.
• Lead the coordination of monthly workshops, in collaboration with the Batalo East team ensuring timely advanced planning of all logistics and communications.
• Facilitate the planning and execution of the annual Dance Fest in August/September, including following up on the action points and leading on the coordination of thematic area focal persons in advance of and on the days of the Dance Fest, as well as other roles and responsibilities for the Dance Fest as needs dictate.
• Coordinate the annual Young Dancers’ Exchange to Rwanda, Kenya and other countries, as needed.
• Manage office petty cash.
• Represent Batalo East at partner meetings and events, potentially outside of working hours.
• Demonstrated work experience in an administrative position.
• Experience in events planning and implementation.
• Experience working with artists and young people
• Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to effectively collaborate with culturally diverse people and members
• Possess diplomatic instincts, ability to gracefully and humbly work within challenging professional contexts requiring tact and judgment.
• Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical skills, good judgment, and creative problem-solving
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Proficient computer skills with fluency in Microsoft Office Suite programs including word and Excel, Google products, and learning management systems as well as a quick ability to learn new computer programs.
• Fluency in English is required; any other language skills is an added advantage.
• Bachelor’s degree in arts management, or other relevant field; any other education/experience in arts management is welcome.
To apply, please send a one-page letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the Programs Coordinator role and a PDF of your CV/resume, including three referees, to BE.email@example.com
Deadline for applications is 20th March 2019.